Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV 20.1 MP Digital Still Camera
We’ve been through a few cameras since hitting the road, trying to find the holy grail. So far, this is our favorite, delivering excellent quality images, especially in low-light situations. Small, compact and handy to put in a pocket or purse, it’s easy to always have it on us and ready to capture that view or moment. It’s the compact point and shoot that many professionals use and we can see why. We mostly use the Auto setting (though it has many features) and so far we are delighted with the images and video quality. Only wish it had an external mic option, but we use a Sony A6000 with gun zoom mic for that.
Disclosure: Please note this post may contain affiliate links. This means – at no additional cost to you – we earn a commission if you make a purchase using our links. We only link to products and companies we use and recommend. The income goes toward supporting the free content on this site and community.
It’s the compact point and shoot that many professionals use to ensure high quality images, it’s a rock star in low light situations.
Inside the compact RX100 IV is the world’s first 1-inch stacked back-side illuminated Exmor RS CMOS sensor (1) — a remarkable advance in image shooting possibilities. Use it to reveal the wonders of up to 40x super slow motion (3), super-high-speed 1/32000 sec. Anti-Distortion Shutter, and handy 4K movies (2). Now Explore super-speed imaging beyond human vision.
- Excellent image quality: The combination of Sony’s excellent 20MP sensor and fast, sharp 24-70mm lens produces some of the best image quality we’ve seen on a compact camera.
- Impressive IS: The RX100 IV’s image stabilization system is very good for stills and dramatically effective in video.
- 4K/HFR video and powerful tools: The camera records 4K and high frame rate video and offers important filming tools like face detection and smooth continuous autofocus, peaking, and flat picture profiles.
- Clever viewfinder: The pop-up, high resolution electronic viewfinder is one-of-a-kind, and a great feature for when it’s just too bright to see the main LCD.
- Electronic shutter: An electronic shutter setting allows for silent and faster continuous shooting with AF, with no decrease in image quality.